April 17, 2010

Farmer's Market Week Two

BW and I went to the farmer's market again this week.  I'm always running late and really am trying to be better about getting up and getting to her house by 7am.  If we don't go that early then our CSA is liable to run out of the items that we want.  I didn't get to her house until 7:15 once again and this week she missed out on the spinach and the asparagus.  Both sold out before 7:30am!!  I'm thinking that I need to be at her house by 6:45 next week so that we get there when the market opens at 7:00.  I'm glad it's doing so well as that means more vendors.

This week I picked up the following (items I've never tried are indicated):

1. Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard
2. Rapini (new)
3. Baby Bok Choy Leaves
4. Purple Asparagus
5. Spinach and Feta bread
6. Sherry Tomato Soup
7. Salad mix of mozzarella, pine nuts, cherry tomatoes and mixed greens
8. Curly leaf parsley


I still have the pea shoots (both kinds), the green onions and the carrots from last week so I didn't get as much this week.  We also ordered some items from Omaha Steaks and so I don't think we'll need to go shopping at all this week.  My goal this week is to eat everything I have from the market.  To do this I'm considering preparing the following meals.

1. Tenderloins with Cheese Pansiotti and Pea Shoot pesto
2. Mediterranean Skewers with Purple Asparagus Risotto
3. Wild Rice Stuffed Chicken and Sauteed Rapini
4. Vegetable Lo-Mein with carrots, baby bok choy, green onions and whatever is left

Last week I took some leftover lasagna to work and I had several coworkers ask me to make some and bring to work to share.  I picked up more swiss chard and am making it with ground turkey instead of chicken.

On another note I joined Daring Cooks and the May challenge should be announced today.  Of course I'll be blogging my experiences with this new set of challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment