April 24, 2010

Farmer's Market Week Three

I didn't make it to BW's until 7:05am.  Luckily she was ready and we didn't need to stop for cash so we got to the market in time to pick up some asparagus from our CSA.  Since I didn't do much cooking this week, I still have quite a bit of produce left.  I didn't want to get alot of items and decided just to pick up from our CSA.  As we were walking through the market BW and I saw some leeks.  I've never cooked with these and decided they would be my "new" item from the market.  After having breakfast we decided to shop at Petty's Fine Foods and I found celeriac.  I have wanted to try this and have never been able to find it.  So I snagged one very quickly.

This week I picked up the following (items I've never tried are indicated):

1. Asparagus
2. Spinach
3. Leeks (new)
4. Green Garlic
5. Celeriac (Celery Root) (new)


And now a rant.

After we shop at the market we always go for breakfast and chose to try the Wild Fork as they just started serving breakfast.  It was really hard to decide what to order as everything sounded so good and the portions described were huge!!  They don't serve a children's menu, nor do they serve 1/2 portions.  If you want an omelet plan on eating three eggs and all the other ingredients included.  The meal was delicious but we could only eat about 1/3 of them.  Since I had to go to work afterwards I decided not to take the remainder of my meal home and knew that it would go to waste.  At the end of the meal we were pretty shocked that we were charged for the to go boxes (BW's and the order she'd gotten to take to her DH).  The price wasn't very much and the boxes were very "green" as they were biodegradable.  Since the Wild Fork is considered an upper class restaurant we never expected to pay for such incidentals especially without this being disclosed at some point during the meal or when the boxes were requested.  My meal (one omelet, one lg orange juice and a soda) was $21 before the tip!!  When we received our credit card receipts there was a little brochure included with the receipt that stated that they were trying to reduce their carbon footprint and to thank us for paying for them to do that.  REALLY!?!  Each portion is enough for three so they know that the majority will be wasted and they want to charge us (more) to decrease their carbon footprint?!?  Aren't they going about this the wrong way?!?  It really soured my meal to find this undisclosed charge on our receipts.  I will probably never eat at this restaurant again just because of a .35 charge per to go box.  I know that is me being unreasonable but after spending $21 per person for an omelet, grits and toast with drinks I don't feel it is necessary to pay to reduce their carbon footprint.  Especially when they've gone to such excess already on my dime.  I plan on calling the manager on Monday to talk about this as I feel that there has to be other people who feel the same way I do.  Maybe not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment