February 26, 2010

Italian Soup with Parmesan and Basil Pesto

I wanted to start this blog so that I can chronicle my struggles to cook in a cook-challenged kitchen and on an extremely busy schedule. Typically my husband and I order in or eat out for every meal and therefore, we have very few fresh items in our refrigerator.

The day I made this it was cold and snowing and as I'm not used to driving in the snow (I'm a transplant from Louisiana) I had to look to what I had on hand to prepare for dinner.

Italian Soup with Parmesan and Basil Pesto
(Serves 4 or Serves 2 with lunches)

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 lb sweet italian sausage (casings removed)
1 small onion (small diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes (fire-roasted tomatoes are great)
1 cup uncooked small pasta (I used both ditalini and mini-shells)
2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons italian seasoning
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 can (14.5 oz) cannellini beans
freshly grated parmesan cheese
fresh basil pesto

Directions:
1. Brown the meat, onion and garlic together. Drain if needed. Since I used turkey and italian sausage there was hardly any grease so I didn’t have to drain.
2. Add the tomatoes, pasta, chicken broth and seasonings and let cook until the pasta is cooked as you desire.
3. Add the cannellini beans and let simmer for another 20 minutes.
4. Serve in bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil pesto.

This recipe leaves room for anything to be added. I’ve added fresh spinach right before serving which gives it a wonderfully bright flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment